25 April 2010

Picture post

Everybody who knows me knows of my penchant for taking random pictures of people and things. Living in London enabled me to hone my stealth photography skills in order to avoid getting my ass kicked. However, this is not "Caught Slippin'" (does anybody remember that facebook group? Jokes for daaaaaays!) so here are just a few of the random pics I've taken in the past few
months here:
The Cape Coast Mysterious Dwarfs F.C.


I snapped this whilst stuck in some stupid traffic on the Accra-Tema motorway. Who knew Cape Coast had a football team called the "Mysterious Dwarfs" [sic]? Shouldn't they be dwarves? What's so mysterious about them? This is still the best football club name I've heard yet though.


Taxi hazards


So I hailed a taxi from my house to Dzorwulu one sunny afternoon and tired of the wind effing up my hair because of the open window, I asked the taxi driver to please raise up the window for me. He directed me to "touch the green wires together". He then happily told me to touch the EXPOSED orange wires together to lower the window again! I was actually dumbfounded. Only in Ghana indeed....



"Oh Edem!"


I have no idea who Edem is, or what he did, but it was clearly serious enough to warrant the offended party complaining about his crimes all over Accra. I thought this was hilarious. Not unlike our next picture...










Hilarious Services (Osu)


Spotted this gem on Oxford St. in Osu. Mate, you offer clerical and photography services. What the hell is 'hilarious" about that?









"My Lord is my Shepped"


Yep. "Shepped". What made this worse was that I took this picture at the Accra Polo Club as it was reversing into the white picket fence of the supporters enclosure. Clearly the Lord was slipping on his shepherding skills that evening....







"My Brain"


A couple of months ago, I was trying to stress to my grade 8 students the importance of acknowledging their sources before they turned in their projects. It's never too early to learn about plagiarism right? This was the bibliography page of one of my students. Is this a reflection on me or her? Either way, let's bow our heads in prayer for the children of the future....

5 comments:

The Author said...

Oh, I knew about Cape Coast Mysterious Dwarfs, a formidable football team in the past. And, errm, the plural of "dwarf" is "dwarfs". "Dwarves" is actually not a word! Interesting pictures.

Raine said...

Ha ha hahahaha. I had a good laugh with the window picture. Ha ha hahahahah and the kid saying the source came from his brain- well technically if s/he thought of it all by themselves, well then I guess it did come from their brain. Good job kiddo.

PS. Dwarfs is correct. Dwarves is a word that was coined by JRR Tolkien. I guess they are both technically correct.

Sankofa said...

@Nana Yaw I always thought it was correct to refer to the little mythical creatures as "dwarves" and "dwarfs" for everything else since Tolkien introduced it. But more to the point, what's so damn "mysterious" about the CC Dwarfs?!

@Raine I kept bursting into uncontrollable fits of laughter for the rest of the day after reading that! Add me to list of people championing "dwarves". The English language is indeed a strange one.

Nsoromma...Child of the Heavens said...

The plural is really dwarfs...how bizarre, how bizarre.

The Oh Edem, one reminds me of a phrase me and my sister used to kick around as kids. It was a book title actually...Oh Kojo! How could you! But Oh Edem will be my new mantra...

Last Born Child said...

Lol @ "Oh Edem". This is how passive-aggressive people handle issues huh? Trotros should start rentingout the space on their rear widnscreens / bumpers etc.

Your student deserved some marks for sheer balls. I couldn't have turned a bibliography like that in ever.

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin