19 April 2010

London on my mind...

My job is seriously effing up my blogging life, my social life, in fact my life full stop. I ran away to London for our ONE WEEK Easter break. Yes- one week. Man I didn't realise just how much I'd missed that city so here is a list of some things I missed (and didn't miss) about my beloved London town (despite it giving me a horrible cold):

1. People walking quickly


Let me not go on too much about how refreshing it was to have people walk like they actually had somewhere to go. People in Accra are always telling me to slow down because "it's too hot to be rushing". I look at them like "fool why exactly do you think I'm walking so fast? All the faster to get out of this bloody sun!"

2.  Public transport


Yes there were still flippin engineering works on the Jubilee Line but I was getting over-excited hopping from trains, to the DLR, to tube, to bus. Any Londoners out there- I'm telling you don't know how good you have it until you have to deal with smelly tro-tro mates or psychotic taxi drivers. These are basically your only options when you don't have a car in Accra.

3. A general lack of flying insects


Flies are the bane of my existence in Ghana. I detest them with the intensity of a thousand suns. Their buzzing drives me mental and I'm constantly swatting the air whenever I'm eating. I once got up and left Bush Canteen in East Legon in a huff because I was being attacked by flies. Having a fly-free week was blissful.

4. Fashion and shopping


I'd always get into arguments with my American friends when we talked about fashion. I don't care but Londoners always win hands down. I've always said that everybody else does "sexy" whilst Londoners do "trendy". Londoners can take the most truly hideous pieces of clothing I've ever seen and somehow throw them together and make me wish I'd thought of it first. It's a true skill.

Shopping-wise, even though I was as broke as a church mouse, Primark sorted me out with some flip-flops boy! This reminds me of the woman in a "boutique" in Dzorwulu who tried to charge me GHC 60 (just over 30 quid) for some 4 pound Primark skirt from 3 years ago!

5. The Musician (and my friends)


Look at me putting my friends in brackets! But they understand.... It was great seeing the ones I actually managed to get a hold of. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder. I've got some truly great friends. I'm so lucky to have friends that generally share my strange (and sometimes mean) sense of humour. You can never underestimate the benefits of people who can laugh at the same things you do. So here's to Friday's Afro, Afrocentric, Nsoromma, East London Boy, Lawyer Girl, Twister, N8, Wina, and my million and one surrogate parents. I couldn't see all of you but it was good to at least chat a little.

The Musician: I'm partly blushing and partly feeling embarrassed. I still think it's completely mental that this man is still in my life, but like a moth to a flame there I was. I've seriously never been with any man who makes me feel as happy as he can but I still have a vague feeling that he's an addiction I need to kick. I was a very naughty girl  and now I feel like an a victim of abuse who keeps going back to her abuser. Eek! O_O But I had the best time with him so is being happy a crime?

There were loads of things I hadn't missed about LDN but let's be positive today ;-)


Currently listening to: I hate seagulls- Kate Nash



3 comments:

Nsoromma...Child of the Heavens said...

BRACKETS! You put me in BRACKETS!

Deeply wounded, but I forgive you! And I understand obsessions that need kicking...so I really will allow you. You really were missed, Lawyer girl is still kicking herself over the lack of link up. And our Martiniquee workmate was almost in tears when I told her today you were only around for that week. Bless her! In fact N8 had a similar reaction when she got to church late.

Forget Primark! Me, I been eBay scouting Ted Baker bags...it's going gr8!

Sankofa said...

I've found that Ted Baker that I was stalking all of last year for a ridiculously good prize but sadly suffering from a lack of funds.

I'll be back in a couple of months anyway. It'll fly by!

Afrocentric said...

I'm so glad that as (your friend) you missed me so much. LOL. Don't worry I understand. We loved having you. In fact I didnt realise how much I had missed gallavanting, with no sense of direction until your one week visit.

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin