8 September 2009

You have such a pretty face...

I don't really know why I'm choosing to blog about this topic but it's something that has steadily pressing on my soul for at least five years now. Haha I guess there's my reason right there! Growing up I never really thought of myself as pretty. Don't get it twisted I didn't think I was ugly either, just not "pretty". I was always described as the smart one but never the pretty one. This was the way it was all the way through primary school and most of secondary school too. I put on a lot of weight when I was about 11 or 12 and that weight hasn't ever come off. I think I've just learnt to live with and truthfully it's not something I think about  everyday. It's not as as if I never received any male attention either. Truthfully the only requirements to get chirpsed in London (especially by our beloved persistent Nigerian men) is to possess a vagina, so I didn't really "count" them if you catch my drift. However, in my late teens, when I first went to uni in America, I began to receive a different kind of male attention. More genuine shall we say. I mean guys would tell me they thought I was pretty or whatever and even though I knew that was what they believed, I still didn't quite believe them. Then I began to be accused of being arrogant and some kind of faker. I still remember one of the first guys I ever hooked up with in the states (let's call him Kojo) telling me I was pretty in an almost insulting way. When I expressed surprise, he said to me "Why are you fishing for compliments? You know you're pretty" with a mildly disgusted look on his face. "Excuse me but I don't know anything" was what was going through my mind.


Because of the whole weight thing, I'd always felt I had to play my role as the smiley, clever one and not step on any of the "fly girls"'s toes. However, I guess with the progression of age comes a burgeoning sense of maturity. I knew from a reasonably young age that I couldn't stand insecure people. I went to a boarding school, which meant that living in such close proximity for an extended period of time with other teenage girls was a recipe for disaster. Of all the girls in my year, I know for a fact that only one other girl apart from myself was above a UK size 12/14 with the majority being 6s and 8s- I kid you not. Still we endlessly had the daily script played out for us with the whole "Oh my God I feel so faaaaaat. Look at my belly!" as a shiny toothed girl flaunted her washboard abs at you, lower lip pushed out in an oh-so-charming pout. Yes we had our share of bulimics galore. I would get so bored (still do) of people talking about their various body hang ups all the time. Seriously, for a school that was supposed to consist of some of the elite minds of the country conversations rarely ventured beyond boys, clothes, the latest "cool" band and drugs (rich people with too much time on their hands). Forgive us for we were but children hehe! I guess my point is I began to find people complaining about their bodies the most irritating thing  and I vowed NEVER to whine about my body issues. I still believe that moaning about something is only going to draw attention to it. Plus it's boring.
 I basically began to fake confidence and in the course of this charade, a genuine sense of confidence somehow emerged. I'd always tell myself "you may be fat, but at least you're not ugly" (ugly is a very strong word imho).



Now going back to my experience as a late teen in the states. Whilst I didn't think I was ugly, I wasn't exactly used to hearing guys telling me I pretty either. So this was a pretty steep learning curve for me. I always thought the way I dressed was what got me so much attention (basically not letting the Midwestern winters reduce me to a pair of eyes hidden in a bomber jacket, hat that covered 3/4 of my face, and boots that made it hard to lift your leg, let alone walk- what can I say? I'm vain!). However, as my confidence grew, so occured the exponential growth of people (particularly females) telling me I had a pretty face. Now WTF was that supposed to mean? So devoid of all my extremities and my torso I could be considered an aesthetically pleasing member of society? I guess I should thank God that I have my face to save me from utter irrelevance eh? ;-) My own mother even tells me this on a regular basis, in addition to "you're lucky you're tall or you'd seem even fatter than you are". Rarely do I ever hear "you're pretty Sankofa". It's always "Sankofa, you have a pretty face". I know it may seem a strange thing to complain about for those of you not familiar with this phenomenon bit it's so unbelievably jarring! It only gets more so when you get it with the "you're big but pretty" line. First of all, I'm not big, I'm what most would consider fat. Let's just tell it like it is and quit with all the euphemisms. I'm not one of those fatties that blames everyone and their mama for being the way they are. I got fat because I ate too much when I was younger and now I'm just too lazy to get the weight off. End of. Fullstop. Finis. We'll save that story for another day.


Now let's fast forward a few years to  just a year ago and a so-called "friend" (now former friend, thank God). This chick and I used to go raving together a few times and she also loved to have house parties. She's an average-looking chick with a pretty nice figure who thinks that her big behind alone entitles her to receive the attention of any guy she fancies. Now we were at one of these house parties and I'd been steadily getting dagger-eyes all night beacause I'd spent the majority of the party talking to a guy (let's call him Francois) who I'd been flirting with for months who she also happened to like. Now, in my head, flirting with Francois was no biggie because 1. It's not as if he was expressing great interest in her and I stole him or whatever and 2. Francois is a huuuuge male slut and is therefore everybody's first choice to flirt with (added emphasis on the flirt). So I'm getting tired of the"looks" so when I get a chance alone with her I ask her if she's cool. She feigns complete innocence as to what I'm talking about but then as she is reapplying her make-up, she casually comments that she's always wondered how I always have so many guys interested in me since I'm so fat and all. My neck snap would have done the chick from the exorcist proud. You'd be proud to know that I didn't say any of the vile things that were going through my mind and eventually, just as nonchalantly, said "Oh you know. Guys like different types of girls and it's not as if I'm ugly". I think I can pinpoint the exact moment in time when our "friendship" began to die lol.


To make matter more interesting, at this same party some chick who I'd peeped watching me at various times during the night decides to approach me a few minutes later and says "Please don't think I'm weird but I think you're really really pretty." I mumble some embarrassed, shocked, thanks in her direction and she hits me with the kicker. "Not being rude, but you know you're quite big, yet you carry yourself so well". Ah, knew there had to be more coming!


I've just always felt that just because I was fatter than all my friends, it didn't mean I had to look worse. Yes I still rock my skinnies, my harems, my jeggings (or treggings as some of you call them). I just make sure it suits (and fits) my body because we all know there's nothing worse than a size 20 squeezed into some size 16s. Hey give me a pair of SPANX and I'm good to go! We all know that I'm already disadvantaged in this western world due to the mere fact that I'm a woman, and a black woman at that. Yes  I may be fat, but going around feeling embarrassed for it will only be one more strike against me. For that alone I can happily walk with my head held high. Confidence is the great eraser for it disguises a multitude of flaws. Still is that reason enough to be reduced to a mere face? I guess the whole point of this convoluted (and long) post is do you feel I'm justified in my annoyance? Am I just being a sore taker-of-compliments? I feel like about this issue the same way I feel about the "you're so pretty even though you're dark-skinned" line. True stories, I've had those statements as well, but we'll also save that for another time.I've always wondered if I was making too much of this issue and I want to know what you guys think. Go on, hit me with your best shot. I'm a big girl, I can take it! (pun intended....)


Currently listening to: Fire Alie- Chipmunk

12 comments:

Unknown said...

:)People use big instead of fat because they want to be politically correct and I think big sounds like a nicer word than fat. I find it quite interesting that someone can approach you and tell u to your face that "your face is pretty". Why can't you just be pretty in general instead of being pretty for a big girl or for a dark skinned or blue skinned person!

The definition of beauty lately keeps upsetting me. People need to get over thier narrow mindedness!!!

Shameless said...

'I basically began to fake confidence and in the course of this charade, a genuine sense of confidence somehow emerged.'

So i guess 'fake it to make it' does work someimes. i also like that you don't use euphemisms in referring to your weight.

Btw,your supposed friend! she deserved a slap! She was just fortunate it was you and not someone else lol. we thank God you discovered who she was earlier on in life.

It's unfortunate that pple can't seem to be give compliments without peppering them with some sort of insult. It's like they're afraid to make a person feel TOO good about herself.

Sankofa said...

@Maxine, That's precisely the point I'm trying to make. Why can't we give compliments without any qualifiers? But I still think "big" or "fat" it all means the same thing so why pretend? :-)

@Brie It sure worked this time! Trust me when I say this wasn't even the worst of what this "friend" did. I also know plenty of women that will never give another women a compliment in case they start thinking they're "too nice". It's a damn shame....

Abena Serwaa said...

*Oh my gawd* It is so creepy how I can relate!

First of all, skin tone. I grew up in Southern Africa where most people were lighter than me and was constantly told how dark/pitch black I was which was basically equated to being ugly. One time at school I was chatting with a bunch of friends. Two of the girls in the group started having a chat in one of the local languages which I totally understood.
Girl 1 "You know the girl you said was ugly...you know she is quite pretty"
Girl 2: "What? No way...she is ugly!"
Girl 1: "She is pretty in her own way"
Girl 2: "Okay, only in her own way"
Girl 1 turning to me "You know you are actually quite pretty"
Me: "Thank you" (you utter @#$@#$ whom I will hate for life)

So yes I long accepted I was ugly...and that was not good for the 'ol self-esteem.

Then we get to the weight issue. I have yo-yo-ed up and down for years and all-you-can-eat college buffets basically rendered me clinically obese! I have come down since then but still heavier than I would like to be...Outside of Ghana I was always the one guys would pass over in favor of a sleek, svelte friend. Suddenly I move to Ghana and my beautiful friend with the fabulous body gets ignored while guys hit on me! Was all very strange. Okay, the quality of the guys may have been dodgy....

So I must say that despite the trials of Ghana living, it has been great for my self-esteem. Would say more but have to go!!!

Friday's Afro said...

Sankofa, you crack me up!I'm actually surprised you didn't slap your 'friend' (lets call her Gladys) !

Sankofa said...

@Abena I've also had a similar experience in school as well with the whole "you're actually quite pretty comment. I guess I'll see when I come to Ghana if I get hit on or get the "obolo" comments lol!

@ Friday's Afro Is somebody missing the concept of "anonymous" blogging? Why do have to boy her out like that?! Lol!

Nsoromma...Child of the Heavens said...

My sister is MINISCULE compared to me and we used to get so annoyed especailly when we were together cuz she would get 'oh Awura, u have a nice shape' and would get 'oh Maame you are so pretty, u have a nice face'. What is that all about? Should we behead her and stick my head on her body? SMH

KMT @ ur ex-m8, she was an idiot though. Her confidence came from being PERVED on for having a big bum. That's not confidence, it's the wickedest form of insecurity...Let's call her something nice and anonymous, like Candy :D

Mike said...

I personally don't get it when people take "you have such a pretty face" negatively. I have complimented both skinny & "big-boned" women with it in the past because that was exactly what I meant. I wasn't comparing the face to anything. Just like saying "wow you have such beautiful legs".
Since I found out some people get offended somehow, I quit the whole "you have such a pretty face" compliment. Not fun.
I think 2 people can say the same phrase & from one, it will be an honest compliment but from the other, totally laced with malice. Unfortunately, the people with ill-intent dont have signs on their foreheads for us to spot them & slap them before they speak.

@ Nsoromma, u r bad. Candy? lol Esi Woarabae should hear this one.

Afrocentric said...

Sankofa, I can sort of relate. As a child, I spent a lot of time with a girl cousin. She is only five days older than me, and we have the same Ghanaian name. So because of that, people often compared the two of us. My cousin, (let's call her A) was considered the beautiful one. We would always her comments like "A is so nice and slim" or "A has beautiful, long hair" or "A is such a pretty girl". Needless to say, I was the fat, dark skinned cousin whose hair was much shorter and tougher. (May I add in that I was also referred to as the clever one). To sum it up, A was the beauty and I was the brain. So it is easy to see how you your own family, the very people who are supposed to instill some confidence in you as a child can easily leave you empty and devoid of any self confidence. Just like how you, Sankofa, faked it till you made it , I managed to develop some sort of confidence (I am still not fully there yet)and as much as I love Cuzzy A, I genuinely feel that although we are both beautiful people, she is not "better looking" than me.

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

I would not say that I have a thing for big women, but I do not really care how big women are when I date them. I believe even if you are big, with enough love, you can come down at your own pace.

Was good to see you, Sankofa, at Smoothies. Did you notice that I shook your hand almost three times--I could not stop looking at you. You are hot! and beautiful, not just pretty. Am serious!

Was hoping to get your number...too bad.

I am not interested in getting in your pants--my gf was sitting right behind you!--but being in your smart company:-))

Went to bed pinching myself about that...

Sankofa said...

It was a pleasure meeting you too Emmanuel. I was really nervous about the meeting but everybody was very welcoming and I had an enjoyable time. Thanks a lot for the compliment. I don't know how "smart" my company is though lol. I'm sure you'll see me around though. Accra's not that big!

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

am relishing the prospect! Take it easy in Accra...it grows on you:-)

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin