29 March 2010

(Mis)Education

I feel like ranting this morning so bear with me. So after months of searching and dealing with idiots asking me "are you sure you can live in Ghana?" I finally managed to get a job here in GH at the end of January. I don't think I've ever been so depressed about getting a job before and I couldn't even moan about it to anybody because they wouldn't get it. I know you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth but the job I got was as a flippin' teacher. "What's wrong with being a teacher?" I hear you say. Well, nothing; but if I had to make a list of all the jobs I would like to do, teaching would be languishing somewhere near the very bottom. I have the utmost respect for teachers but since I swing back and forth between loving kids and hating them, I didn't really think that would be the job for me.

Anyway, after endless amounts of bullshitting, I managed to snag a job as a teacher at a swanky International school here in GH. So I basically have no clue what I'm doing and since they apparently don't believe in the concept of orientation I was basically thrown to the dogs. It's hard enough being in a school where some of the pupils are just seven years older than me but I may have um embellished my experience a tad . Some of the teachers have been pretty helpful and understanding but they've got their own crap to deal with so the help has been understandably limited. The pay is apparently "good for Ghana" but well, you could have fooled me. I definitely have fewer outgoings than I did in London but I'm trynna save up for a masters and it's not looking too good.

Surprisingly, this is the first time in my life that I don't generally have a feeling of doom and gloom as I head to work but I can't say I love this job either. It's a weird feeling to have. The kids are interesting. I think that initially they were awed by the sight of a teacher who didn't look "teacher-ish" and they were pretty well-behaved but they're sure showing they're true colours now. I love my grade 7s because, as cheesy as it sounds, you actively feel as though you're teaching them something. The grade 9s are another matter because they're at that "I think I'm so cool because I'm about to turn all of 16" stage. I have a group of about 5 boys I actively feel like punching because they insist on flirting with the females in the class (moi included!) instead of concentrating on the beautiful poetry of Lord Byron. I mean really. Who could ignore Lord Byron? Lol. As for my grade 8s? Well they sure are special. They are known for being the noisiest class in the school and they do their best to live up to their reputation.

What really pisses me off about this place though is the lack of any kind of punishment system here. If a student does something wrong you can make them clear the teacher's table at lunch or make them stand on stage and apologise to the whole school. O_O

Mate, that's not a punishment. That's a slight inconvenience. They don't even have detention for Pete's sake! When I was in boarding school, we had Saturday night detention (usually to coincide with a school dance or some other cool ish you wanted to go to) and that was only a medium punishment. KMBT. No wonder these kids walk around with a swagger in their step. They know you basically can't do jack to them. Where's the famous Ghanaian sense of discipline and respect? A lot of the other teachers seem to think it's because they're all so rich. I've been around rich people for a good chunk of my life and no offense but the way white people with money act and the way black people with money act is on a whole 'nother level. Don't blame the money. Just act right.

These kids give me joke though. I made a reference to Jodeci or a band like that the other day and they all had the blank stare going on strong. Excellent way to make you feel really old. But then some of them go "but Miss have you heard of Chipmunk? Tinie Tempah? D'banj?" I had to let them KNOW! About have I heard of Chipmunk and Tinie Tempah? Where were they when we jamming to "Wifey" and "Fire Alie"?

In all seriousness, this job is interesting and no matter what happens I think I'll be glad for this experience but mehn my journey to my masters degree needs to speed up!

Edited to add: I saw the Vice Principal yesterday and she said the school board are extremely happy with the job I'm doing and the kids seem to like me. Well that's a shock. I guess my bullshitting skills aren't so bad after all.

Currently listening to:Brazen-Skunk Anansie

9 comments:

Lady Jaye said...

Are you by any chance teaching at LCS?

Sankofa said...

I realised there aren't that many "swanky" International schools around so I will neither confirn nor deny lol. You never know who's reading!

Lady Jaye said...

Oh come on! I am just asking because I would think it's awesome if you were teaching 7th grade (you, know diversification).....
Would you send me a PM? (All this curiosity is just because I went to LCS.....

Lady Jaye said...

Oh sorry - I forget. From 7th grade on - subject teachers, not class teachers. But still...come on!!!!!! I want to know!

Nsoromma...Child of the Heavens said...

At least you don't have that dread when your going to work. I think it's good experience in many ways anyway. AND I have always known ur powers of bullshitting to be second to none!

Sankofa said...

@Lady Jaye I left you a comment on your blog.

@Nsoromma I've had many a year to hone those skills. "But sir I put my coursework in your pigeon whole last week. What do you mean you haven't received it?"

Lady Jaye said...

@ Sankofa...Loool. But speaking of teaching children: Have you heard of the Baobab Prize? We're trying to revolutionize African children's literature.

If you don't mind, I would like to send you information about the Baobab Prize and hope you can pass it on to your African students and encourage them to write...... if you are interested, send me an email: baobabprize@gmail.com
It would be great if you're interested (and that way i can find out the name of the school too, hehe).

Shona Vixen said...

I once questioned myself if I would ever become a teacher if I had to!It was a strong no but after watching Glee me thinks teaching is actually good..lol!
Good thing is you don't dread going to work in the morning..thats a good sign!

Myne said...

I was a teacher for a while and it wasn't that old. That was elementary school though and those are way cuter. They certainly won't flirt with you, lol.

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin