30 October 2009

Of myths and legends

There's a junction in the "37" area of Accra where I heard the most god-awful unholy sound a couple of days ago. I was chilling in the car, craning my neck to catch the faintest whiff of a breeze when I heard a sound like cats being drowned mixed with that horrible "crying" sound London foxes make at night. My head snapped back so quick and when I made the mistake of looking up, I saw horrible, black, winged creatures swooping in and out of some large trees. Bats creep me the hell out. I find them as truly disgusting creatures. A lot of people know that I'm generally not a fan of things that fly but when you add teeth, claws, and fur to winged creatures, you have a living embodiment of my worst nightmare.

While hastily rolling up my window, the woman driving me told me that there are also a lot of bats in Kwahu and according to legend, a Kwahu chief became sick one day and had to be transported to the military hospital in "37". The bats accompanied him on his journey to Accra where he unfortunately died. However, since the bats never saw him leave, still they remain waiting to accompany the chief back to Kwahu. Apparently everything has been done in an attempt to get these bats to leave but alas, to no avail.

I happily believed this until I tried to google some more info on this supposed "fact". I saw that fellow bloggers Abena and Holli had also blogged on this topic substituting the Kwahu chief with chiefs from other regions! Nevertheless, it's a good myth and one I thought I'd share.

Now a few  things I've been ruminating about in the last few days:

1. Why is "37" called "37"? I must have asked about 7 people and nobody's been able to give me an answer. Not even a guess. So can anybody help satisfy my curious mind?

2. I think I've seen enough penises this week to last a lifetime. Seriously the amount of men I've seen flapping in the wind as they relieve their bladders beggars belief. Not everybody will do you the favour of facing a wall even. Oh no. "Check me out!" they seem to scream as you're visually assaulted by tubes of flesh

3. Judging by the strange consistency it seems to be turning, I don't think you're supposed to put milk into Hausa koko....

Currently listening to: Sweet thing- Rufus and Chaka Khan

6 comments:

Abena Serwaa said...

Hehehe! Thoroughly enjoyable post! I think 37 refers to the 37th Military Battalion of the Ghana Armed Forces but I'm not too sure of the details will ask my favorite army brat when he gets into work....if he gets into work. As for the chief.... I would not be surprised if he was from Kwahu and not Akyem but next I'm sure he will be Bono! The bats are gross...they pass over my house around 5pm on their way somewhere. I hear they camp overnight at the Shai hills. That might also be a myth though.

As for Ghanaian guys and the penis flashing that took me a while to get used to. Now when a guy in a suit parks his Benz on the roadside to take a whizz I don't bat an eyelid. Still utterly disgusted though.

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Sankofa, do check your post on a pretty face---I am now so besotted by you!!!

Calming down, I cannot get over "tubes of flesh"!!!:-))

have urself a great weekend!!

Sankofa said...

@Abena Serwaa Thanks so much! Is it weird that that question has been steadily driving me crazy for the past few days?

@Emmanuel I'd be blushing if I could right now. Have a great weekend too!

Afrocentric said...

I totally know what you mean about the penis thing. Guys in Accra just don't seem to get the fact doing their business against a wall won't take any more from them!

Shels said...

haha..yes hausa koko doesnt taste the same when u add milk...

Anonymous said...

It was the 37th Military Hospital built by the British in the colonial days on the west coast of Africa. So I heard.

About guys peeing all over,...hmm.

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin