22 October 2009

Some first impressions

I'm staying in Airport, a mere stone's throw away from the famous Accra Mall so that's where I decided to venture. Man, I thought I was a pro at crossing the road basa basa but Accra roads have put the fear of God in my heart! I swear I saw cars going in different directions on the same half of the road. I don't think I've quite recovered yet...

As for Accra Mall? It's cool I guess but I really hated feeling like I was on a catwalk due to all the stares up and down I received as I meandered my way around the shops. I really hate being stared at so I don't know how I'm going to cope. I wasn't dressed up or anything, especially compared to all the girls I saw in their raving gear and weavalicious glory, so why the staring? This staring not be small either. Thorough appraisal is the order of the day. From the soles of your feet to the tips of your hair and back again. I felt like asking one woman if I had passed her test! The prices are a serious piss-take though. I saw the newest Dan Brown book in a bookstore there for 50GHC. Are you having a laugh? I really hope there's a cheaper place to buy books somewhere in Accra (somebody help a sister out). My brain must be prevented from turning into mush. I had a pure geeky moment though when I saw my Dad's books and excitedly called to tell him. He was underwhelmed, to say the least :-p

 I must also have a FRESH MEAT sign lit up in neon colours over my head because talk about being a target for the con artists extraordinaire. I may not yet know the ins and outs of Accra but one thing I absolutely detest is being ripped off and for that reason alone, the (little) money I have is staying firmly in my pocket.

It's strange hardly knowing anybody my age)here and oddly ironic since I usually spend my time hiding from people I know (no offence!). I hope to attend my very first Ghana Blogging meeting next week so I'll hopefully begin to remedy this situation. All in all, I've had absolutely no worries so far, although I'm sure that will change, and I'm enjoying my joblessness for the meantime. I'm eager to see the "real" Accra (if there's any such thing) because I'm well aware that I'm being extremely pampered where I am. Not that I mind....


Currently listening to: In the morning- Ledisi

6 comments:

Mike said...

You will tell us about the men that hit on you, right? I'm betting 17 men a day.
Enjoy your stay in Gh.

Anonymous said...

I was you.... 10 months ago. Same experiences. It hurts to get ripped off by your fellow countrymen, it really does.

Anonymous said...

Check this blog if you still want the Dan Brown book. "Accra books and things" - Weblog

http://accrabooksandthings.wordpress.com/2009/10/06/who-wants-to-read-the-lost-symbol/

Femme Lounge said...

lol! don't worry, they are just giving a memorable welcome to Accra.
in time you will be giving other new comers tips too. enjoy your stay!

Nsoromma...Child of the Heavens said...

I jealous you paa, sounds like a gigglefest thou. Don't mind the ripping off, it's only in abrokyrie that fellow Ghanaians r ur brothers, back home u r not Ghanaian ur a TARGET! Remember to photograph all evidence of Engrish to keep us laughing!

Kajsa Hallberg Adu said...

We were happy to have you at the Ghanablogging meet-up! I'm smiling when I read your spot-on observations about life in Ghana, people staring, English vs Ghanaian names (i wrote on it some 2 months ago) etc.

Actually, I was just thinking moments ago how unfair it is Ghanaians have to risk their lives (no kidding) every time we want to cross a street...

Hope to see you soon about town :-)

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin