25 October 2009

Random musings

1. How does one react to unwanted advances from the opposite sex? Seriously this one has been taxing me for the last few days. When I was younger (around 13/14) my friends and I would always do the really cruel "um I don't think so" with the requisite disgusted look spiel. This all changed one summer afternoon outside Peckham library (under the umbrella- you know that was the spot!) when I messed with the wrong guy. I was chilling with my freshly gelled-down hair and baubles when a tall Jamaican dude asks me for my number in a rather forceful and disrespectful manner. Out came the faux-ghetto London slang: "Do I know you doe? Why do you think you can stalk me doe? Do you know how old I am? Watch I don't get my man and his bredren dem to come box you!"  Everyone knows Peckham boys are no joke and this one was no exception. I was quick to change my tune when old boy pulls out a knife! I felt like I had been touched by holy ghost fire and within seconds I was scrambling for a pen to write down whatever number he wanted! Although that experience is funny to me now, it made me re-evaluate the way I responded to men trying to approach me. I went far into the opposite direction and tried to be as nice as I possibly could when I said "no". However, this would often lead to stalkers who refused to take no for an answer. Say what you like about London men but they are persistent! I soon adopted the truthful approach as in "sure you can have my number but I probably won't pick up when you call." This has been working for me but I think it sometimes comes across as mean when that isn't my intention. So again back to the question- how does one react to unwanted advances from the opposite sex?

2. This week, when I've been asked what my name is, at least 3 people have asked me what my "other" name is. Initially I was like "huh"? They would then elaborate that they wished to know what my English name was. Am I missing something here? Is is mandatory for a Ghanaian to have an English name? I'm not English so I don't understand why it's so strange not to have an English name. I'm not throwing any shade at those Ghanaians who do have English names but I'm proud of my name. So there!

3. I went to the hairdresser a few days ago and as the lady was washing my hair, I heard her telling a colleague to look at my ears. (She clearly didn't realise I understood twi and I wasn't inclined to correct her lol!) I have quite a lot of piercings in my ears and now I'm wondering whether piercings in Ghana are a big deal. I wanted to tell her that I've even done well by removing 3 of my 10 piercings.

I have 4 of the ones pictured above, and no, I'm not a punk! Lol!

4. Is it just me or do Ghanaians have no regard for personal space? I've been touched more times than I care to remember this week by complete strangers. For somebody who is the antithesis of a "touchy-feely" person, this is going to take some getting used to....


(I have to give some love to my Liverpool boys. 2-0 to the Liverpool! You'll never walk alone indeed! Sorry to all the Man. U fans out there. Or not! OK, I'm done now lol)


Also, my friend Nsoromma joined the personal blogging brigade so show her some love over at "Baring Testament"

Image source

Currently listening to: The Seed (2.0)- Cody Chesnutt ft. The Roots

9 comments:

Shameless said...

lol @ no. 1! what a lesson in why NOT to flex.
@2, i used to get that too in ghana. it's great that you're proud of your name!
@3: i got warnings from my relatives all the time about closing up my 'extra' piercings before i step foot in gh again.

Abena Serwaa said...

LOL! You put a smile on my face this morning..
1. Let me try and think back to the last time I was hit on by random guys in GH...been a while...mmm Ah yes!
*References to big, burly possessive husbands/boyfriends work like a charm.
*Insist on taking their numbers instead! That one does not seem to be working these days...The guys appear to be getting smarter

2. I get the "other name" one alot. I usually just add Serwaa. When I first got to Ghana, they thought I had given myself a Ghanaian name! I think they wanted me to be called Jane Mensah or something.

3. Wow, impressive piercings! That is definitely one way to get attention in GH! I loved hearing people talk about how I don't speak Twi. Still love it!

4. Touchy feely? After being grabbed and groped in public in Swaziland and Southern Africa for many years, I don't even notice any touchy feely business in GH! I do hate the battery of personal questions I get from curious people. That annoys me.

Anyhoo, keep us posted and entertained with the amusing musings.

Nsoromma...Child of the Heavens said...

Lol! U knew it was coming about the piercings in GH! Were they curious or totally disgusted? It's sooo funny!

And about the whole giving out ur number thing, I'm still at a loss! Sometimes I'm politely like no, sometimes the SLBB (south London Black Bitch) comes out and sometimes the cold hard truth....like honestly, I don't want to give you my number, I won't call you if you give me yours, my name is not ur business and I want you to go away now. BYEEEEEE!

BTW...Man U, Still I Love U! and thanx 4 the love 4 my blog!

OM said...

OMG,just read for the first time today. I have to say "u're gonna kill me" (in the African proverb, u r too funny way).

But i love everything single letter you have written. its inspiring, funny, emotional (although u claim ur not), postive, and most importantly an interesting point of view.

Anyways sha, I pledge my allegiance to ur blog

Original Mgbeke said...

LOL, pretty funny stuff. In regards to unwanted attention, I usually do the 'save their number and screen the calls' sometimes, if I'm even feeling nice enough to save the digits.
Are you currently visiting Ghana? Isn't it always so cool to feign ignorance like you don't know a language? ha ha ha.
Interesting piercings too.

Nice blog. :-)

Sankofa said...

@Abena (1) What a lesson indeed. I still think a little bit of flexing never hurt anybody. Emphasis on the "little" though.

@Abena (2) The personal questions are amazing! I don't know why complete strangers would think I'd share my life with them. That's what my blog's for! Lol.

@Nsoromma I think it was more curiosity than disgust. Still funny to me though. I'm definitely glad I took out my toungue piercing.

@Original Mbeke Thank you! I'm actually loving not disclosing that I can speak twi. It's amazing what you can found out!

Afrocentric said...

Lol at the ear piercings. No matter how "liberal" ghanaians try to be, they are STILL conservative people.

kekeli said...

The last time a guy I didn't like called me, I had my friend answer the phone and then speak to him in German. He never called back.

Sankofa said...

@Afrocentric Precisely! I don't know why we can't live and let live.

@kekeli Hahaha! Nice one. Might have to give it a try lol.

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin